- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 pounds (10 sticks) sweet cream butter
- 2 cups whole, shelled almonds
- 24 ounces semisweet or milk chocolate bars or chips (for coating)
- 3 cups almonds, ground
- Grease two 9 x 13-inch baking pans with vegetable oil.
- Combine sugar and water in a 4-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until the mixture registers 231 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Add butter slowly until all is melted. Add whole almonds and cook until
they are golden brown.
- Pour mixture into prepared pans (mixture should be about 1/2 inch deep)
and immerse pans in ice water to harden toffee.
- Remove toffee onto wax paper or parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Coat the top side of the toffee with half the melted chocolate and sprinkle
with half the ground almonds.
- Repeat on underside of toffee.
Makes about 3 pounds.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.