- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted
- 2 cups roasted, salted cashew nuts*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
* If using unsalted cashew nuts, add 1/8 teaspoon salt with the sugar.
- Using vegetable oil, generously oil a sheet pan (preferably one with sides),
at least 11 by 17 inches.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cream of tartar
and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer
to test it, boil the mixture until it reaches 350 degrees F, or is amber-colored.
- Remove from the heat and, working quickly, whisk in the cinnamon.
- Whisk in the butter, cashews, and baking soda.
- Pour the mixture onto the oiled pan and spread it out a bit with a wooden
spoon, to about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thickness. Don't spread it too thinly.
- Let harden, uncovered, in a cool place, 30 to 45 minutes. (To wash the saucepan,
soak it overnight.)
- Using your hands, break the brittle into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 12/11/2001 8:32 am.