Chunky Peanut Brittle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 1 1/2 cups butter (no substitutes)
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with the 1
1/2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle with 1 cup peanut butter chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, water and remaining 1 1/2
cups butter to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until
butter is melted. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300
degrees F (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in peanuts.
- Quickly pour onto prepared baking pan; sprinkle with chocolate chips and
remaining peanut butter chips. With a knife, gently swirl softened chips over
top of brittle.
- Cool before breaking into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 2 1/2 pounds
Source: Country Woman - Nov/Dec. 2003