Dixie Peanut Brittle
Prep: 5 min | Cook: 10 min | Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw shelled peanuts, skins on
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine peanuts, sugar, syrup and salt in a 2 1/2 quart microwave safe container.
- For a 700 watt oven: Microwave 4 minutes on HIGH; stir, microwave 4 minutes longer on HIGH.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Microwave 2 minutes longer on HIGH.
- For a 1200 watt oven: Microwave 4 minutes on 60% power; stir, microwave 4 minutes longer on 60% power.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Microwave 1 minute longer on 60% power.
- Add baking soda* and quickly stir until light and foamy.
- Immediately pour onto lightly greased baking sheet; spread to 1/4 inch thickness.
- When cool, break into pieces.
- Store in airtight container.
* Any cooking time adjustments necessary for lower or higher watt ovens must be made BEFORE adding baking soda.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Virginia-Carolina Peanut Promotions