Fiery (or not) Almond Brittle
Enjoy a little heat with this ultra crunchy candy treat. Or, leave out those
ingredients to savor the buttery tones, sweetness, and almonds.
- 2 tablespoons Challenge Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon
crushed red chile pepper
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole raw almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a large cookie sheet; set aside. (a silicon baking sheet could be
- In a small custard cup, melt the butter (microwave High for about 30 seconds).
- Stir in the peppers; and set aside.
- In a 2-quart glass batter bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and salt. Microwave
on High for 3 minutes. (The syrup will be boiling rapidly, about 275 degrees
F – soft crack stage.)
- Stir the mixture and add almonds. Microwave on High an additional 5 to 6
minutes, stirring about half way through the cooking time. (The syrup will be
light brown – about 350 degrees F – hard crack stage).
- Stir in the butter/pepper mixture. Sprinkle baking soda over mixture, stirring
- Immediately pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Cool; then break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1 pound
Omit ground red pepper and crushed chile pepper to eliminate the touch of "fire."
Microwave times are based on a 950 to 1000 Watt oven; for 650 to 700 Watt oven
increase cook times by a minute at each stage.
Reprinted with permission from
Challenge Home Economist - Challenge Dairy.