Hot and Sweet Nut Brittle
- 1 pound blanched whole almonds
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place almonds in 15 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jellyroll pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes
until golden brown, shaking pan occasionally.
- Cool almonds in pan on wire rack.
- While almonds cool, in heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat vinegar and 2 cups sugar
to boiling over medium heat. Continue cooking over medium heat until mixture
turns dark amber in color, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If using
a thermometer, temperature should read about 360 degrees F.)
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix salt, cumin, coriander, ground red pepper
and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Lightly grease large cookie sheet.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir spice mixture into hot sugar syrup.
- Add almonds, and stir until evenly coated.
- Immediately pour mixture onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, spread almond
mixture to form a single layer.
- Cool brittle completely on cookie sheet on wire rack.
- With hands, break brittle into small pieces.
- Store in tightly covered jar or tin for up to a month.
Yield: about 1 3/4 pounds
Source: Gourmet Magazine