Jalapeno Peanut Brittle
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno peppers, cleaned, finely chopped (no seeds and no white part)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Generously butter a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Set aside.
- In a skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter; add jalapenos and peanuts,
and cook over low heat until peppers are soft.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add jalapenos and peanuts. Stir well, and cook until mixture reaches the
soft crack stage on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Blend in remaining 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla extract, almond extract
and food coloring until well mixed.
- Sprinkle baking soda evenly over the cooked mixture and stir well. When
foamy, pour immediately onto the prepared jellyroll pan. Spread out into a thin
- Let cool on jellyroll pan until until brittle and cool enough to handle.
- Break into irregular pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1/2 to 1 pound