Mixed-Nut Spiced Toffee
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups coarsely chopped toasted mixed nuts (such as cashews, almonds and pistachios)
- 5 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Butter small rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add next 6 ingredients;
stir until sugars dissolve. Attach clip-on candy thermometer to pan. Increase
heat to medium; boil until thermometer registers 290 degrees F, stirring slowly
but constantly and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spatula, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups nuts.
- Immediately pour candy onto sheet. Spread toffee to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate atop toffee. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Using back of spoon, spread chocolate over toffee. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup
nuts. Chill for 1 hour.
- Break toffee into pieces.
Yield: about 2 pounds
Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in airtight container. Let stand at room
temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.
Source: Bon Appetit - December 2002
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Brittle, Brickle and Toffee Recipes