Salted Peanuts Peanut Brittle
- 1/2 pound salted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Put peanuts through a food chopper using medium blade. Set peanuts aside.
- Combine baking soda, vanilla extract and the 2 teaspoons water in a bowl
and set aside for later use.
- Combine sugar, syrup, salt and the 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy saucepan.
Bring to a boil over moderate heat and cook, stirring occasionally until 270
degrees F (hard ball).
- Add butter and continue to cook until 300 degrees F (hard crack), stirring
- Remove from heat.
- Add baking soda and vanilla extract mixture.
- Quickly stir into nuts. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape out on a well greased enamel table top or a very large metal tray.
Spread to 1/2 inch thickness with a greased spatula.
- As soon as edges cool slightly, carefully pull out as thin as possible,
1/8 inch thick or less.
- When cool, break into pieces.
Makes about 2 pounds.