- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds, roasted
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Butter the sides of a large heavy saucepan. Add sugar, corn syrup and water;
bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until
a candy thermometer reads 260 degrees F (hardball stage).
- Stir in sunflower seeds and butter. Cook over medium heat to 300 degrees
F (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; vigorously stir in vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Pour into a buttered 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan; spread evenly to fill
- Cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container with wax paper between layers.