Peach Jelly Chews
- Vegetable oil
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen unsweetened sliced peaches
- About 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 envelopes (2 tablespoons total) unflavored gelatine
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Oil an 8- or 9-inch square metal pan.
- In a 6- to 8-quart pan, preferably 11 inches wide (see NoteS), combine peaches
and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer,
covered, stirring occasionally, until fruit mashes easily, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Whirl fruit mixture in a blender or food processor, a portion at a time, until
smoothly pureed. Return to pan.
- In a bowl, mix 3 1/2 cups sugar with the gelatine. Add to fruit mixture.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Stir and boil 5 minutes. Reduce
heat to medium and stir often until mixture is thick enough to leave a trail when
the spoon is drawn across the pan bottom and juices in the trail are just beginning
to turn a darker gold, 25 to 35 minutes. At once, remove from heat.
- Stir lemon peel and lemon juice into peach mixture, then scrape mixture into
the oiled 8- or 9-inch square pan. Let candy dry, uncovered, for 16 to 24 hours;
it should feel firm and not sticky when touched.
- On a board, coat a 10-inch square area with about 1/4 cup sugar. Invert pan to
release candy onto sugar; if it sticks, use a metal spatula, dipped in sugar, to
ease from pan. With a long, sharp knife, dipped in sugar to prevent sticking, cut
candy into 49 equal pieces (make 6 cuts lengthwise and 6 crosswise). Coat each piece
- Serve candies, or arrange in a container with plastic wrap between layers and
- Store for up to 1 month at room temperature.
Yield: 49 pieces
Per piece: 70 cal., 1.3% (0.9 cal.) from fat; 0.5 g protein; 0.1 g fat (0
g sat.); 17 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 1.1 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
If pan is narrower than suggested, mixture cooks longer and is darker
in color. Use a pan with a light interior so you can see color changes that indicate
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.