- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat. Without
stirring, cook until temperature of candy thermometer reaches 248 degrees F
(soft ball stage).
- Just before temperature reaches 248 degrees F, in a large bowl with mixer
at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With mixer at high speed,
slowly pour about 1/2 of the hot mixture over the egg whites.
- Cook remaining syrup to 272 degrees F or until a small amount of mixture
when dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard, but
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and dark rum.
- Beating constantly, slowly pour hot syrup over egg white mixture.
- After last addition of syrup, beat in coffee powder and ground cinnamon.
Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and a small amount of
mixture holds a soft peak when dropped from a spoon. If mixture becomes too
stiff for mixer, beat with a heavy wooden spoon.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper.
- Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes 1 1/2 pounds.
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans may be stirred into mixture with coffee
powder and cinnamon.