- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat. Without
stirring, cook until temperature of candy thermometer reaches 248 degrees F
(soft ball stage).
- Just before temperature reaches 248 degrees F, in a large bowl with mixer
at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With mixer at high speed,
slowly pour about 1/2 of the hot mixture over the egg whites.
- Cook remaining syrup to 272 degrees F or until a small amount of mixture
when dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard, but
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and dark rum.
- Beating constantly, slowly pour hot syrup over egg white mixture.
- After last addition of syrup, beat in coffee powder and ground cinnamon.
Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and a small amount of
mixture holds a soft peak when dropped from a spoon. If mixture becomes too
stiff for mixer, beat with a heavy wooden spoon.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper.
- Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes 1 1/2 pounds.
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans may be stirred into mixture with coffee
powder and cinnamon.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.