This easy-to-make fudge balances rich chocolate flavors with the slight heat
of ancho chile pepper.
- 20 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper *
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil allowing edges to extend beyond pan;
butter the foil.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped chocolate, cinnamon and ground ancho chile
- In a medium saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk, sugar and butter.
Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and butter are melted
and mixture begins to boil. Add marshmallows and stir for 1 minute until melted.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over chopped chocolate mixture; let
stand for 2 minutes or until chocolate is softened.
- Add vanilla; stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pan and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- To cut fudge, pull on foil edges to remove foil and fudge from pan. Remove
foil, place fudge on cutting board; cut into 64 pieces.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 64 pieces
* Add more or less ancho chile pepper to desired spice level.
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.