Brown Sugar Fudge
This is also known as penuche, panocha, ponoche, etc.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus more to butter a pan)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup broken walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Butter a roughly 10 x 10 inch pan.
- Put all the ingredients except the nuts in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring only until the butter and sugars have melted. Cook at a rolling boil for exactly 5 minutes.
- Now pour into the bowl of a mixer. (No mixer? Make something else unless you feel a need for biceps-building.) Beat until the mixture is thick and lighter in color and has lost its gloss.
- Stir in the nuts and spoon into the buttered pan.
- Allow to cool very thoroughly before cutting into small squares.
Source: Vintage recipe from Rodney Cook, Georgia.