- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 1/4 cups butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- In a 3 1/2-quart saucepan, mix sugar with dry gelatine.
- Add milk, corn syrup, chocolate and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, to 238 degrees F on candy thermometer,
or until a little in cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed
- Remove from heat; pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool for 25 minutes.
- Beat with wooden spoon until candy thickens.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Let cool; then cut into squares.
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds
Variations: In place of walnuts stir in 1 cup of any of the following: coarsely
chopped pecans, coconut, whole toasted almonds, party mints, butter mints or crushed
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.