This recipe can be varied by adding 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit, chopped nuts,
a mixture of fruit and nuts, 3 tablespoons grated fresh coconut, or 4 ounces grated
chocolate to the mixture just before it is poured out to cool. Vanilla sugar can
be used instead of the plain granulated sugar and the vanilla extract.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Put milk into a heavy saucepan. Stirring all the time, add sugar and butter,
and heat the mixture slowly until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts.
Bring the mixture to a boil and cover the pan with a lid. Boil it for 2 minutes
and then uncover it.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Without stirring,
boil the mixture steadily for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it reaches the soft-ball
- Remove the mixture from the heat, dip the base of the pan briefly in old
water, stir in the vanilla extract and let the fudge cool until it is lukewarm.
- Beat fudge until it loses its glossy appearance and is thick and creamy.
- Pour fudge into a greased 8-inch square pan.
- Let the fudge cool completely before marking it into 1-inch squares with
a sharp knife.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.