Anise Hard Candy
Yield: about 8 dozen (1 pound)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, softened (NO SUBSTITUTES)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- Red food coloring
- 2 to 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve any sugar crystals. Uncover; cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300 degrees F (hard crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in anise extract and food coloring (keep face away from mixture as odor is very strong).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score into 3/4 inch squares. Cool.
- Separate into squares, using a sharp knife, if necessary.
- Place confectioners' sugar in a baking pan; add candy and roll until coated. Brush off excess sugar with a pastry brush.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.