- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put sugar, corn syrup, water and salt into saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and cook until thermometer registers 250 degrees F, firm ball stage.
- Add butter; cook with occasional stirring until thermometer registers 300 degrees F (brittle stage).
- Remove from stove; add vanilla extract; pour into buttered shallow pan, making a layer 1/4 inch deep.
- While warm, crease into squares with a blunt knife.
- When cold, break into pieces.