- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh horehound leaves or 1 cup dried horehound
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Put the water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the horehound, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand for 1 hour to infuse.
- Train the liquid and discard the horehound.
- Add the sugar and the corn syrup to the liquid, and boil it to the hard-crack stage 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Pour the syrup into a buttered 12 x 8 inch pan.
- When the candy begins to set, mark it into squares with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Cut the candy into pieces when cold.