- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon black food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
- Put the sugars, water and corn syrup into a saucepan over medium heat; stir. When the batch has boiled for the first time, wash the sugar crystals down from the sides of the saucepan. Put a candy thermometer in the saucepan, and cook without further stirring to soft-crack stage 290 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- Remove saucepan from heat, and add food coloring and anise flavoring; stir them in gently.
- With a teaspoon, drop round patties about the size of quarters onto a greased baking sheet. If the candy in the pot gets too firm for spooning, reheat it gently until it softens.
- Cool the drops completely by placing the sheet near an open window or in a cool room, but NOT in the refrigerator, or the pieces will stick. Soon the drops will be firm and will come off the sheet easily.
- Wrap drops individually in wax paper or cellophane.