- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup water
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place sugar in a saucepan; add cream and water, and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add a pinch of cream of tartar, place over medium heat and boil the mixture very slowly until it reaches the soft-ball stage 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Add the butter and boil the mixture until it reaches the soft-crack stage 280 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into a deep, buttered 7-inch square pan.
- When the butterscotch is nearly cold, use the point of a buttered or oiled knife to mark it into bars or squares.
- When the butterscotch is quite cold and set, break it up.
- Wrap each piece in wax paper, and keep the candy in an airtight container.