Old-Fashioned Hard Candy
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon oil flavoring*
- Food coloring as desired
- Confectioners' sugar
* Oil flavoring can be purchased at drugstore or baking supply shop.
- Mix sugar, water and syrup until sugar is dissolved. Boil over medium heat to
300 degrees F or hard ball stage.
- Remove from heat.
- Add flavoring and food coloring and mix well. Odor will be extremely strong at
this time, so prepare in well-ventilated kitchen.
- Pour in streams onto cookie sheet which has been very generously covered with
confectioners' sugar. Make little ditches of confectioners' sugar so the
candy does not spread too much.
- Sift more confectioners' sugar on top of candy streams.
- Cut with scissors into bite-size pieces as it begins to cool and outer edge will
hold its shape.
- Do not wait until it is completely cooled, because it becomes hard and impossible
Yield: 1 pound