Old Fashioned Rock Candy
This has been a favorite during the holiday season for many years. It's beautiful made in many colors and flavors.
Make sure that you use flavoring oil, NOT extract.
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white Karo syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon flavoring oil
- Desired gel or paste food coloring
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Have a greased 9-inch square dish ready.
- Bring sugar, syrup and water to 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Add flavoring and desired food color.
- Pour into prepared dish, let cool, then break into pieces. At this point
you can toss them in confectioner's sugar, if desired.