- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup half cream and half milk or rich top milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup broken nut meats
- Melt butter or margarine in a medium-size (2-quart) saucepan, using rubber spatula
to bring it up around sides of pan, greasing well.
- Pour cream and milk into pan.
- Place over heat and bring to boiling point.
- Add sugars and stir well to dissolve.
- Cover pan and bring mixture to a boil slowly; cook about 1 minute or until sugar
crystals are melted down from the sides of the pan.
- Remove cover and continue gently cooking without stirring to a soft-ball stage
(238 degrees F), about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand without moving, until candy is lukewarm 110 degrees
F) and bottom of saucepan is barely warm to the hand. This will take about 1 hour.
- Add vanilla extract and nut meats; stir-beat with a heavy spoon; continue until
candy becomes creamy and starts to lose its gloss.
- Pour into a buttered 8-inch square
- Cut into pieces while still warm.
Makes about 24 pieces.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.