- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup half cream and half milk or rich top milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup broken nut meats
- Melt butter or margarine in a medium-size (2-quart) saucepan, using rubber spatula
to bring it up around sides of pan, greasing well.
- Pour cream and milk into pan.
- Place over heat and bring to boiling point.
- Add sugars and stir well to dissolve.
- Cover pan and bring mixture to a boil slowly; cook about 1 minute or until sugar
crystals are melted down from the sides of the pan.
- Remove cover and continue gently cooking without stirring to a soft-ball stage
(238 degrees F), about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand without moving, until candy is lukewarm 110 degrees
F) and bottom of saucepan is barely warm to the hand. This will take about 1 hour.
- Add vanilla extract and nut meats; stir-beat with a heavy spoon; continue until
candy becomes creamy and starts to lose its gloss.
- Pour into a buttered 8-inch square
- Cut into pieces while still warm.
Makes about 24 pieces.