- 2 pounds light brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup chopped candied cherries
- Mix sugar, milk, butter and salt in a 6-quart saucepan.
- Cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook without
stirring until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball in cold water or reaches
238 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Beat until thick.
- Pour into a buttered 9-inch square pan.
- When firm, cut into squares.
Makes 3 pounds.