Beefy Taco Casserole
Serve Beefy Taco Casserole over mixed greens and top it with fresh tomatoes and guacamole for a fresh and flavorful meal!
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 white mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (red, yellow or orange)
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 7 small corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Lettuce and tomato
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over MEDIUM heat. When hot, add beef and chopped onion. Cook together for 10 to 12 minutes until brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning to pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place half of the tortillas on the bottom of the 9 x 13-inch pan (ripping them as needed to create a single layer covering the bottom of the pan). Top tortillas with half of beef mixture. Dollop sour cream on beef mixture and spread using the back of a spoon. Place the rest of the tortillas in a single layer over the sour cream (ripping them as needed). Top with remainder of beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 364 Calories; 116 Calories from fat; 12.9 g Total Fat (6.1 g Saturated Fat; 4.1 g Monounsaturated Fat); 71 mg Cholesterol; 431.4 mg Sodium; 34.5 g Total Carbohydrate; 6.2 g Dietary Fiber; 25.7 g Protein; 3.4 mg Iron; 734.7 mg Potassium; 0.1 mg Thiamin; 0.3 mg Riboflavin; 7.7 mg Niacin (NE); 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 1.8 mcg Vitamin B12; 4.9 mg Zinc; 17.2 mcg Selenium; 76.9 mg Choline
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Riboflavin, Niacin (NE), Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium. It is a good source of Iron, Potassium, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, and Choline.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Texas Beef Team
Recipe courtesy of: Stacey Mattinson, MS, RDN, LD, www.staceymattinson.com