Boot Kickin' Tortilla Casserole
- 1 tri-tip, cooked in slow cooker
- 1 large onion
- Garlic, however much desired
- Chili powder, however much desired
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can El Pato Sauce
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pound jack cheese
- 1 cup marble cheese
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Slivered green onions, for garnish
- Chopped tomatoes, for garnish
- Sauté onions and garlic.
- Add green chiles and meat to skillet.
- Sprinkle chili powder over meat mix and add tomato sauce and El Pato sauce. Simmer
for 15 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, fry tortillas in hot oil one at a time. Drain on paper towels
and cut into quarters.
- Beat cottage cheese and egg together and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of meat mixture in bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Layer with jack cheese, half the cottage cheese mixture and half the tortillas.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with marble cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese
- Serve topped with sour cream, green onions and tomatoes.
Source: Kelly Falsey for Beef Week 1997, Winner in Stews and Casseroles Division