Potato, Apple and Sausage Bake
Though making dinner for the whole family is extremely important, it can sometimes be a tiresome task to undertake. This lactose free potato and sausage bake recipe is a pretty simple dish to make, and because it features ample amounts of sausage, potatoes and apples, it's both filling and wholesome too!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, such as red, blue or gold, cut into 1 inch chunks (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 links fully-cooked chicken sausage, sliced (12 ounces)
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) Cabot Alpine Cheddar, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss potatoes, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until coated. Spread out in a large heavy roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. While potatoes roast, stir sausage, apples, mustard, honey and vinegar together in the bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Remove roasting pan from the oven. Scrape potatoes up from the pan with a spatula. Add sausage, apples and the mustard mixture to the potatoes and toss to combine. Return to the oven and bake, stirring once or twice until the potatoes and apples are tender and the glaze is caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Scrape potato mixture into the center of the roasting pan. Top with cheese and return to the oven only until melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Cabot Creamery Cooperative
Recipe courtesy of Katie Webster.