Cafe Tu Tu Tango Black Bean Salsa
- 8 ounces dried black beans
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 red bell pepper, diced fine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Hot pepper sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place black beans in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight. Pick out
any split beans. Strain, return to pot and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat and simmer until beans just begin to burst, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain gently and cool.
- Toss beans with corn, tomatillos, onions, peppers, olive oil and vinegar. Season
to taste with the hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Yield: about 7 cups
Per 1/2 cup serving: 106 calories, 4 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrate,
4 grams fat (0.6 gram saturated), 34 percent calories as fat, 2.5 grams fiber, 0
cholesterol, 4 milligrams sodium
Source: Miami Herald - Miami, Florida - October 15, 2000