Calhoun's White Chili
Source: Calhoun's - Nashville and Knoxville, Tennessee
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups low fat chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups canned great northern beans
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Fresh grated cilantro (garnish)
- Low fat Monterey jack cheese (garnish)
- Low fat sour cream (garnish)
- Trim all fat and cartilage from the chicken breasts. Place on a baking pan. Bake
at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout. Allow
to cool, then hand pull into small pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté diced onions, oregano and olive oil together in a soup pot. Cook for about
- Combine water, chicken broth, garlic, cumin, cilantro and green chiles. Add to
the sauteed onions. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Add chicken and great
northern beans. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Blend cornstarch with the cold water and add to chili. Continue to simmer until
chili thickens, then remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh grated cilantro, low fat Monterey jack cheese and low fat
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes