California Pizza Kitchen Carne Asada Pizza
- 1/2 cup firmly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon serrano peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon raw minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Carne Asada Marinade
- 1/4 ounce chopped cilantro
- 3 ounces lime juice
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 to 3 firm, red ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced serrano peppers
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Carne Asada Beef
- 1 pound raw beef (skirt steak)
- Carne Asada Marinade
- 1 recipe California Pizza Kitchen Basic Pizza Dough
- Cornmeal, semolina or flour for handling
- 1 tablespoon cilantro pesto
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 20 to 25 half rings sweet white onion
- 1 recipe sliced Carne Asada Beef
- 1/2 cup canned Ortega brand chiles, cut into 1/4-inch strips, well drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- To make Carne Asada marinade: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and set
aside in the refrigerator for use with Carne Asada.
- To make the Salsa: Dice tomatoes into 1/2 cubes. Combine salsa ingredients and
set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Place the salsa in a strainer to remove
excess water. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the pesto: Blend all the ingredients in a food processor for about 2
minutes until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the Carne Asada: Prepare a hot grill. Combine Carne Asada marinade with
the raw beef and keep under refrigeration for one hour.
- Grill the beef for 4 to 4 minutes per side. When done. remove from grill and
chill thoroughly. Slice beef into 1/4 inch thick strips. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the pizza: Place the pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat
to 500 degrees F, for one hour before cooking the pizzas.
- Use a large spoon to spread 1 tablespoon of cilantro pesto evenly over the surface
of the prepared dough within the rim.
- Cover the sauced area with half the Jack cheese. Distribute half of the onions
over the cheese. Distribute half of the sliced Carne Asada beef followed by half
of the chiles.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven. Bake until the crust is crisp and golden and
the cheese in the center is bubbly, 9 to 10 minutes.
- When cooked through, carefully remove the pizza from the oven. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon
chopped cilantro over the hot, cheesy surface. Slice and serve.
Yield: two 9-inch pizzas
Source: California Pizza Kitchen