Carlos Banditos Deep-Fried Ice Cream
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream (about)
- 12 long cinnamon sticks
- 3 plus cups beer
- 5 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus oil to fry ice cream balls (divided)
- Cinnamon sugar (for garnish)
- Whipped cream (for garnish)
- Honey (for garnish)
- Deep fried tortilla strips coated with cinnamon and sugar
- Start this dish one day before serving it.
- To make ice cream balls, put cornflakes in shallow dish. Form about 12 ice cream
balls with your hands, using 4 to 5 ounces of ice cream. Each ice cream ball should
be about the size of a baseball. Roll balls in cornflakes until thoroughly coated.
This will provide insulation from the heat. Insert 1 cinnamon stick into each ice
cream ball, then place on cookie sheet. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze
overnight. Ice cream must be rock hard in order to prepare this dish.
- Open beer and let sit out overnight to become flat.
- On the second day, make batter. Mix flour and sugar in large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks with 1/4 cup oil and 3 cups flattened beer.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. This is best to do in
copper bowl. Combine beer and flour mixtures; mix until thick dough is formed. Fold
in egg whites.
- Batter should be thick, but if it is elastic dribble more flat beer into it and
mix until desired consistency is achieved. If batter is too thin, it won't stay
on the ice cream ball. Batter is good for three days, but may separate. If it separates
prior to use, whisk to desired consistency.
- To prepare, put 6 inches of oil in deep fry pan or large pot and heat to 375
degrees F. Gently coat ice cream ball with batter, being careful not to pull cinnamon
stick out of ball.
- When balls are coated, gently drop into oil, one at a time, being careful not
to let balls stick to sides of pan or frying basket. Submerge balls completely by
holding onto cinnamon stick. Balls are done when golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2
- As ice cream balls are fried, set each aside to drain on multiple thickness of
paper towels until all are done. Before serving, pour honey over top of each ball,
then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and pipe whipped cream around the base.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - October 6, 1999 - Carlos Banditos, Fish