Carlsbad Tavern and Restaurant
Mashed White Cheddar Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese (plus more
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fried leeks (optional
- Boil sweet and russet potatoes and garlic until tender. Drain; place in a large
- In a saucepan, combine heavy cream and butter. Bring to a boil.
- Pour hot cream and butter over potatoes and garlic. Mash well. Stir in Cheddar,
nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with shredded white Cheddar and fried leeks, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate values per serving: 524 calories, 38g fat, 121mg chol, 11g protein,
37g carb, 4g fiber, 457mg sodium, 64 percent calories from fat
Source: Arizona Republic - April 10, 2002 - Carlsbad Tavern and Restaurant, Phoenix,