Carnegie Deli Chopped Chicken Livers (clone)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons schmaltz (rendered chicken fat - don't substitute anything else)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 2 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large heavy skillet sauté onions in one tablespoon schmaltz until soft and
just beginning to brown. Transfer onions to bowl.
- In same skillet sauté the livers in 1 tablespoon schmaltz until well browned
and no trace of pink remaining. Add to onions and allow to cool .
- Process livers, onions, eggs in food processor until chopped (be careful not
to puree) or put through coarse blade of meat grinder. Add up to 2 tablespoon schmaltz
to moisten and season with salt and pepper.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine April 2001.
From Janet E in NJ Source: Gail's Recipe Swap #13663