Carrabba's Italian Grill Pappardelle Campagnolo
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, 1/4-inch julienne
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes (with their juice, finely chopped)
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated, pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 pound papardelle pasta
- Remove sausage from the casing and break into coarse pieces (about 5-6 pieces
from each link).
- Put olive oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add sausage
and cook until the sausage has browned slightly.
- Add onion and red bell peppers
and cook until they soften and onion turns a rich golden color.
- Add the wine and let evaporate for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper
- Raise heat and bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and
let simmer until the sauce has thickened. Stir in basil and set sauce aside.
- Meanwhile bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, add 1 tablespoon
of salt and drop in the pasta all at once, stirring well.
- When the pasta is almost done, return the skillet with the sauce to a medium
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with the sauce, adding the
grated cheese and tossing again.
- Place the pasta in a serving platter and top with
the crumbled goat cheese.
Serve at once.
Yield: 4 entrees or 6 appetizers