Carrabba's Rigatoni Campagnolo
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes, minced, undrained
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces Caprino cheese or other goat cheese, crumbled
- Remove sausage from the casing and break into chunks.
- Cook sausage in olive oil over medium heat until browned slightly.
- Add onion and peppers; sauté until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high
heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in pasta, Romano and basil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Portion onto plates and top with the crumbled goat cheese.