Chai's Island Bistro Baked Sticky
Rice in a Bamboo Stalk
- 2 cups sticky rice (mochi rice)
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup taro, diced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 vanilla bean
- Pinch of salt
- 10 stalks bamboo
- Clean and soak sticky rice for at least 2 hours or soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Clean and soak black bean in hot water for 2 hours, then steam about 15 to 20
minutes or until beans are 75% cooked. Set aside.
- In a non-stick sauté pan, add sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Add vanilla bean
(use only the meat on the center part of can use liquid) and taro. Cook for a few
minutes then add coconut milk and pinch of salt.
- When coconut mixture starts to boil add black beans and stick rice. Sauté for
2 minutes or until the liquid starts to dry. Set aside and cool down.
- Fill the bamboo stalk and the sticky rice until almost full the cover with a
piece of banana leaf or fail. Make sure to cover tightly so the rice cooks evenly.
- Heat oven to about 375 degrees F, then bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Chef Chai Chaowasaree, Chai's Island Bistro