Chameleon Cafe Spinach Cakes with Walnut Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup cornmeal (for dusting)
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts *
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk
- Steam spinach until wilted; when cool squeeze out all water and chop.
- With a mixer, combine cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, spinach, garlic, black
pepper and basil. Mix on medium speed, scraping sides of bowl, until well incorporated.
- Place cornmeal on a plate. Form mixture into 1/2-inch thick cakes about 3 inches
in diameter. Cover each with cornmeal.
- Refrigerate until firm; can be made a day
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Add enough olive oil to an ovenproof pan, preferably
cast iron, to slightly cover bottom of pan.
- Heat oil on the stovetop on medium-high
heat until almost smoking. Place cakes in hot oil. When browned on one side, flip
the cakes and place pan in oven until cakes are heated through.
- To serve, pour a pool of Walnut Sauce onto a plate. Set hot cakes on top and
- Walnut Sauce: In a food processor, chop walnuts; add basil, salt, pepper and
lemon juice. With the motor running, pour enough milk through the top to make a
* To toast nuts, heat in a dry skillet over medium heat until they start to brown.
Stir occasionally. Be careful not to scorch them.
Source: Chameleon Cafe - Lincoln City, Oregon