Chanterelle Restaurant Puerto Rican Shrimp
with Crispy Onions and Avocado Salad
Puerto Rican Shrimp
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 juniper berries
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1 clove
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- To prepare shrimp, add all ingredients except shrimp to a small saucepan. Heat
to a boil and reduce by one-half. Let cool, add shrimp, and marinate for two hours.
- Cook the shrimp on a grill on in a grill pan for about a minute on each side
(shrimp should just lose their translucency). Keep shrimp warm.
- Next prepare crispy onions. Heat oil in a deep fat fryer. Soak onions in buttermilk.
Dredge in flour, then fry in hot oil. Drain well and keep warm.
- To assemble dish, place fried onions in center of plate. Add three avocado slices
to corners of plate. Place shrimp on avocado slices.
- Serve while warm, garnished with lemon and cilantro leaves.
Source: Chef Jim Turknett, Chanterelle Restaurant, Sacramento, California