Chaparral Suites Resort Chocolate Dessert Bowl
- Begin by melting one pound of dark chocolate in the microwave on HIGH for one
minute. Stir and cook for another minute, and repeat the process until completely melted. Chocolate chips or discs melt easiest. Chocolate burns if cooked too quickly.
- Dip a balloon blown up to 3 to 4 inches in diameter partway into the bowl of melted chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set, then refrigerate until cold.
- Cut or pop the balloon and gently peel it away from the chocolate.
- Fill the empty chocolate bowl with fruit or Caramel Filling topped with fruit.
- For the filling: Heat 4 cups of sugar and 4 teaspoons of lemon juice in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar liquefies and the clear syrup begins to brown. Do not stir. Once it begins to brown, add 1 cup of heavy cream, 10 ounces of butter and 1 pound of walnuts. Stir briefly until all ingredients are warm, then remove from heat. Refrigerate until cool.
- Fill cups with caramel and top with fruit, such as strawberries, kiwis, raspberries and blueberries.
Chef John Kottman, Chaparral Suites Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona - Arizona Republic, 6/26/02