Charlie Gitto's St. Louis Toasted Ravioli
This fabled recipe comes from Charlie Gitto's restaurant in St. Louis'
- 1 (1 pound) package frozen ravioli
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 2/3 to 1
cup fine, dry seasoned bread crumbs
- Shortening or cooking oil
- 1 cup spaghetti
or pizza sauce
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Thaw ravioli. In a mixing bowl, beat together milk and egg. Dip each ravioli
into egg mixture; coat with crumbs.
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry ravioli, a few at a time, in hot oil 1 minute per side or until golden. Drain
on paper towels; keep warm in 300 degree F oven while frying the rest. Heat sauce.
Sprinkle ravioli with Parmesan.
- Serve with warm sauce for dipping.
Makes 12 to 14 appetizers.