Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen Shepherd's Pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 sour cream
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan; add flour and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes,
- Add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Bring to a boil to thicken.
Turn off heat and then whisk in sour cream. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Filling: Cook ground beef in a skillet over high heat, breaking up large clumps
with wooden spoon until meat is no longer pink and has reached 155 degrees F (meat
should be in 1/2-inch pieces).
- Drain well in a colander.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, then add onions and carrots to the
pan and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and beef to the pan, and stir using a wooden spoon. Continue to cook
and brown 5 more minutes. Do not break up the meat.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat. Add sauce to sauté pan and then add the peas and corn.
- To serve, place one cup of mashed potatoes in each of four bowls. Top each with
1 1/2 cups of Shepherd's Pie Filling.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and paprika if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen - Chandler, Arizona