Chickahominy House Square Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 4 level tablespoons lard *
- 1 cup buttermilk
* Lard is the shortening used for these biscuits. If using another shortening,
increase amount to 5-6 tablespoons.
- Into a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a knife or pastry blender, cut in lard until mixture is the consistency of
- Handling as little as possible, mix in buttermilk.
- On a floured board, roll or pat out with hands until 1/2-inch thick. Cut into
- Arrange in pan and bake in 425 degree F oven until golden brown,
about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot from oven.
Nutrients per biscuit: 117 calories, 4.7g fat (36% total calories), 4.75mg
cholesterol, 134 mg sodium
Source: Chickahominy House, Williamsburg, Virginia