Chipotle Mexican Grill Braised Pork Shoulder
This is an authentic recipe...I saw it on Cooking with Beth and Bill. Chef Steve
Ells, Chipotle Mexican Grill
- 1 (6 pound) pork shoulder, boneless
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 to 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 3/4 cup water or meat stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Generously salt and pepper the pork shoulder; let meat come to room temperature,
about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add olive oil to a large ovenproof pan. Sear the pork over medium-high heat until
very brown on all sides.
- Remove pork from the pan; let rest on a platter for 10
to 15 minutes.
- Leaving an even coating, drain excess oil from the pan.
- Add onions; sweat over low heat until translucent.
- Return pork to the pan; add remaining ingredients. Cover
pan, place in the oven and cook for 2 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature
reaches 140 to 150 degrees F.
- Let pork rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with potatoes and vegetables.
Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Amy McClure