Cocina Cubana Club Cafe con Leche Custard
Cafe con leche is the traditional "latte" that most Cubans drink for
breakfast. It combines a strong espresso coffee with steamed milk and sugar.
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons
instant coffee powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate covered
espresso beans for garnish
- Stir cornstarch into 1 cup milk, stirring until smooth.
- In top of a double boiler, pour the remaining milk, cream, instant coffee powder
and sugar. Stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs well. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot coffee mixture to the eggs, beating
- Pour egg mixture into remaining coffee mixture in the double boiler, still over
heat, and beat well to incorporate. Cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into coffee cups. Cover with plastic wrap, leave to
cool and then refrigerate.
- When chilled, top with fresh whipped cream and 1 chocolate covered espresso bean.
Source: Cocina Cubana Club, Havana, Cuba - Pascual Perez and Sonia Martinez