Cold Spring Tavern Wild Game Black Bean Chili
- 24 ounces dry black beans
- 40 ounces meat (venison, buffalo, rabbit are recommended), chopped or ground as desired
- 24 ounces fresh pasilla chiles
- 24 ounces onions
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces chili powder
- 2 ounces cumin seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the beans in water according to package directions. This will dictate the
basic amount of water to use. Feel free to add water to yield your preferred chili
- In a frying pan, sauté the meat until browned; reserve; sauté the onions and
chilies until the onions are transparent (use a little canola oil if fat from meat
- Combine the beans, meat, onions and chili; add tomatoes.
- Add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for one hour.
Yield: 1.1 gallons
Suggested Serving: Ladle into a large bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream
and a sprinkling of chopped jalapenos. It's great with a crusty French or sourdough
Source: Cold Spring Tavern, Santa Barbara, California