Commander's Palace Seafood Gumbo
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 pounds peeled raw shrimp
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 quarts water
- 1 pound claw crabmeat
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1/2 pint oysters with juice
- Salt and pepper
- Make a roux with the flour and shortening.
- Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until transparent.
- Add shrimp and tomato sauce, simmer for 10 minutes, stir in water, and blend well.
- Add all other ingredients except okra and oysters. Cook for 1 hour.
- Add okra, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add oysters and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Serve in a soup bowl over steamed rice.
Makes 1 gallon.