Copps Apple Brown Betty
- 4 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 4 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Stir together bread crumbs and butter; set aside.
- Combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon, mixing well blended.
- To assemble brown betty, spread 1 cup of buttered bread crumbs in bottom of casserole;
top with one third of apple mixture. Spread another cup of bread crumbs and top
with half of remaining apples. Make third layer of bread crumbs and top with remaining
apples. Spread remaining bread crumbs on top of apples.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Cool until warm and serve.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 3/28/02.