Coquette Cafe Ouef a la Neige (Snow Eggs)
- 1 cup egg whites (from about 8 large eggs)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar (spoon in, do not pack)
- Water and 1 cup granulated sugar for poaching
Caramel Sauce and Oranges
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 4 oranges, supremed (seeds, pith and membranes removed)
- Snow Eggs: Place egg whites in clean mixing bowl. Add salt and cream
of tartar and whip to a froth. Mix sugars together and add one-third at a time to
egg whites, whipping to incorporate with each addition. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fill 12- to 14-inch sauté pan halfway with water. Add 1 cup sugar to the water
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep just under a simmer.
- Using 1/2 cup scoop, drop egg mixture into water. Let poach 1 minute, then carefully
turn and poach other side 1 minute. More than one egg can be poached at one time.
Although it is not a problem if eggs touch, they should not sit atop each other.
Periodically rinse scoop with hot water so it does not get sticky.
- When done, remove eggs from water with slotted spoon and let drain on a clean
kitchen towel. You should have 16 eggs. Cool and serve 2 eggs per person adorned
with caramel sauce and oranges.
- Caramel Sauce and Oranges: Bring cream to boil, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place sugar in heavy-bottomed pan. Add enough water to the sugar just to wet
it. Cook over high heat until sugar caramelizes to a dark amber color. Remove from
heat. Carefully add reserved cream to caramel very slowly by whisking it in with
a long whisk. Watch out for steam from the caramel.
- Place mixture in bowl and add orange concentrate. Cool sauce to room temperature.
- Serve sauce and orange segments with snow eggs.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Sanford D'Amato, owner, Coquette Cafe, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes