Cottage Place Winter Squash Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 pound butter, melted
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 (14 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Heat oven for 350 degrees F.
- Split squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Brush inside of squash with
butter, bake for one hour or until tender. While squash is baking, sauté onion in
melted butter until translucent. Remove from heat and stir in flour to make a roux.
- Combine chicken stock, cream, apple juice, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sugar
and seasonings in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Add onion and flour mixture to
boiling stock, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir until smooth, then simmer
for 20 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven and let cool. Remove pulp. Blend with enough of the
soup to puree smoothly. Add to soup and stir. Check seasoning. Add apples and simmer
- Serve topped with toasted almonds.
Serves 10 cups.
Source: Mountain Living Magazine; Cottage Place Restaurant - Flagstaff, Arizona