County Clare Irish Root Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks (white part only), sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, halved, boiled and oven-roasted *
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whipping cream plus whipped cream for garnish
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oil and butter in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks,
garlic and sweet potatoes. Saute until leeks are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add stock and cream. Cover and simmer until carrots and potatoes are very soft,
stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to same saucepan. Add salt, pepper
and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir soup over medium heat until heated through. Ladle into bowls and top with
Yield: 6 servings
* Boil potatoes about 10 minutes, then oven-roast by placing potatoes on
cookie sheet in 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes, or until browned and tender.
Source: County Clare, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes